0
0
0

   South Central MFA                     CLICK - MFA CONNECT
     Darren Scheets-South Central Manager
       

 

 
Printable Page Headline News   Return to Menu - Page 1 2 3 5 6 7 8 13
 
 
Pentagon Ordered to Cut SKorea Drills  08/17 06:13

   President Donald Trump ordered the Pentagon on Sunday to scale back annual 
joint military exercises with South Korea, saying the ally declined to help 
with the war against Iran and citing his good relationship with North Korea's 
Kim Jong Un.

   WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Donald Trump ordered the Pentagon on Sunday to 
scale back annual joint military exercises with South Korea, saying the ally 
declined to help with the war against Iran and citing his good relationship 
with North Korea's Kim Jong Un.

   Trump said in a social media post that the exercises, which began Monday, 
are not only costly but "send a signal that is totally inappropriate and 
hostile" to North Korea, which he said "has been unthreatening and respectful" 
during his time in the White House.

   "Therefore, and based on the fact that it is too late to cancel, I have 
instructed Secretary of War, Pete Hegseth, to substantially reduce the Joint 
Military Exercises!" Trump wrote. The president added that he recently asked 
South Korea's president if they would join the U.S. in the "denuclearization" 
of Iran, "and they said, 'No thanks!'"

   The move is the latest example of the president appearing to turn against an 
ally in favor of a leader that previous administrations have cast as an 
adversary. Trump and others in his administration have also railed against NATO 
allies over perceived lack of support for his war against Iran, even as they 
seek to confront an increasingly aggressive Russia in the Baltic region.

   It is also a sharp turnaround from how his administration has viewed South 
Korea in recent months.

   In May, Hegseth praised the longtime ally for its "commitment to increase 
defense spending" and its "leadership in assuming primary responsibility for 
the security of the Korean Peninsula" during a meeting at the Pentagon.

   "It demonstrates alliance burden-sharing that all of America's partners 
would do well to follow," the defense secretary added.

   What the US military says about the joint exercises

   The 11 days of exercises involving 18,000 South Korean soldiers were 
designed to beef up readiness against North Korean threats.

   The U.S. military has said the summertime Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises 
reinforce "the role of the alliance as the linchpin for regional peace and 
security" and reaffirm "the ironclad commitment between the United States and 
the Republic of Korea to defend their homelands." The exercises are one of the 
two main combined drills conducted by the South Korean and U.S. militaries 
annually, along with their springtime training.

   U.S. and South Korean forces were expected to practice joint operations in 
complex scenarios, including a live-fire exercise to test joint precision 
targeting and maneuver, a wet gap crossing, and distribution of prepositioned 
military equipment, according to the U.S. military. South Korea's Defense 
Ministry confirmed that the exercises began on Monday as planned.

   The joint training started days after North Korea resumed ballistic missile 
testing activities in defiance of U.N. bans.

   Trump's decision was sharply criticized by Democratic Sen. Mark Kelly, a 
former Navy pilot, who said that "hollowing out these joint exercises is 
shortsighted and a mistake" in a social media post made just hours after the 
president's own post. Earlier this month, South Korea, the U.S. and Japan 
detected the launches of two ballistic missiles from North Korea in what were 
the North's first ballistic weapons testing activities since late June. The 
missiles landed in the waters off North Korea's east coast.

   North Korea threatens strong response

   North Korea has been pushing hard to enlarge its nuclear and missile 
arsenals since Kim's high-stakes diplomacy with Trump collapsed in 2019. 
Experts say Kim likely believes a bigger weapons arsenal would increase his 
chances for wresting more concessions from the U.S. in future negotiations.

   North Korea on Friday threatened unspecified stern steps against the U.S. 
and South Korea, describing their military drills as a "a rehearsal for an 
aggressive war" that are triggering greater instability in the region.

   The warning was typical of the harsh rhetoric that North Korea often deploys 
ahead of major U.S.-South Korean military exercises. Experts say North Korea 
has often used its rivals' drills as a pretext to ramp up testing activities to 
modernize weapons and promote public support for the reclusive North Korean 
leader.

   Trump met with the North Korean leader three times during his first term to 
discuss the country's nuclear program, most recently in 2019. Since returning 
to office, Trump has expressed interest in continuing those discussions. In 
September 2025, Kim said he held "good personal memories" of Trump and 
suggested he could return to talks if the U.S. drops "its delusional obsession 
with denuclearization" of North Korea.

   Trump's announcement came a day after he posted a photo of himself standing 
next to North Korea's Kim, writing that the two leaders get along great 
"despite the unfriendly look on this particular picture."

   This is not the first time that Trump has sought to end the exercises. 
During his first term he also issued a surprise announcement that called the 
war games "provocative."

   "We will be stopping the war games, which will save us a tremendous amount 
of money, unless and until we see the future negotiation is not going along 
like it should," Trump told reporters after his 2018 meeting with Kim in 
Singapore.

 
Copyright DTN. All rights reserved. Disclaimer.
Powered By DTN